Original recipe here from Bakers’ Corner.
I used shredded coconut in the base, forgot to let the base set before adding the caramel and used a round tin (instead of square!). I also mixed half milk and half dark chocolate for the top layer because I didn’t want it to be too rich. It turned out perfectly! Beginners luck probably!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g butter, melted
- 100g butter, extra
- 2 x 395g cans Sweetened Condensed Milk (NESTLÉ makes this size)
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 200g Dark Chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used Light Olive Oil)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Lightly grease an 18cm x 28cm lamington pan and line with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and coconut. Add melted butter, mix well. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.
3. Place extra butter, Sweetened Condensed Milk and syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Pour over base. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Cool.
4. Combine Dark Chocolate and oil, stir until smooth, pour evenly over slice.